Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Of talking, listening and the importance of being silent

When I was 20 something and living in Ljubljana, I got into a dispute with my landlady. In the heat of the moment I must have said some really mean stuff to her, because what she said then in a very calm and soothing voice still echoes in my mind. “You’ll see, that tongue of yours will hit you in your life!” I did not know what she meant then so I simply grinned at her disbelievingly.

When I was a kid, I had a similar experience. I remember it was Sunday. I know that, because Sundays were the only days that the whole family sat down and had a family Sunday lunch together. We had the traditional meat soup, followed by mashed potatoes and cooked meat from soup - a true peasant’s lunch. Somehow I got upset with my mom and again in the heat of the moment I called her “a goat” (in Slovenian language that is quite an insult). She just looked at me and said: “You know, if you hit me, the pain will go away, but words, they stay. You can never take them back!” One would’ve thought, I’d learned back then. Obviously I had not. It is easy to lose the perspective, when one is overwhelmed with emotion.

The pain we feel after the words have been said come from regret that we hurt people we love the most. Remorse is then futile. One cannot take words back. No matter how un-meant they were, no matter how un-true they were, no matter how un-anything they were. Any explanation looks like a cheap excuse. No “I am sorry” can ctrl+Z it. Words were thought, said and received. They were then taken, interpreted and became a catalyst of physical manifestation called emotion. Sure, my mom has forgiven me; sure my landlady did so, too. Or maybe she simply forgot that awful boy that caused her pain. No matter how justified those words seemed to me at that moment, in the aftermath I felt terrible. I felt ashamed and I felt sad that people, who allowed me to be even a smallest part of their life, were hurt only because I was angry, dissatisfied, unfulfilled and childish.

That got me thinking. It is not the words that we say that are the problem. The problem seems to be rooted in a previous state of the conversation. Once emotions overflow us barriers are already lifted and the tsunami like wave of destruction has been released. In order not to succumb to it, one has to listen first. One needs to keep the calm inside and listen. That is how I learnt the importance of being silent. Let me explain.


There is a Chinese proverb that says: “There is a reason why we have two ears and one mouth!” I know the reason is more biological than philosophical, but the mentioned distribution has some deeper meaning to it, too. Yes, one should listen twice as much as one talks. I don’t think it is necessary to lay down the evidence, that that is not the case in this society. However, my intention is not to point fingers, since I myself am the same as everyone else. Nevertheless I believe the important question is hidden in understanding the words “listen” and “talk”.

Word “listen” means using our ears that receive sound waves and focus them on the talker. That is listening. But that is only the first part of the communication process. The important part happens afterwards. We need to hear, too. And that is where the problem emerges.  Hearing includes understanding. To make the process even more complex, there are two meanings to understanding. The first is, to understand the words in order to comprehend what is said and then translate it in our brain to the images we then take as a message. The other one involves “understanding beyond words”. What that means is, one needs to realize the motive behind those words. I am not talking analysis here. You see, when one analyses the words, one usually makes many mistakes, as I have explained in one of my previous blog entries. When one analyses the words, one assumes to understand, where in fact the ability to assume is set in one’s perception of his own reality that by default excludes the one of talker. What “understanding beyond words” means, is realizing that everybody talks from his perception of reality, his own experiences. In fact it has been proven that, when we talk, we talk about ourselves, never about others. Even when we actually talk about other people, it is always about our perception of them or our experience with them. What makes the situation even trickier; we also understand everything from the same point of view. Ours, that is. We hear what we want to hear, we understand what we choose to understand. There is no absolutely objective talk. Only the talk, stripped of all emotion, when one talks about anything as a simple observation of facts, gets close to being objective. The rest is ego noise. What “understanding beyond words” asks us to do, is to take into consideration that everyone talks from their pain.

What does that imply about conversation? It means to simply listen, but not to listen. What that means is that we should not inflict anything onto ourselves. We should not take anything personally, even if it is aimed at us. If we take everything that someone says as a part of their pain, might it be caused in the past or in this very moment, we are then filled with compassion and understanding. It does not however mean we have to agree to everything someone says. Simply understand. With understanding comes calmness in our head and love in our heart.

Of course sometimes it happens that many people say something to us about us. That we can take as a good pointer, but if you do not cause suffering to yourself or others(!), then there is no need for you to change or adjust. In that case, you are simply surrounded by the wrong crowd. If you inflict pain to yourself and do nothing about it, then bear your own suffering, it is yours and you have an opportunity to choose different path with every word you are saying. And if you inflict pain on others, believe me, they will either push you into change or they will leave. No one likes suffering.

So where in all of this is silence? Well, it is hidden in “active listening”. To be silent doesn’t mean we shouldn’t talk at all. It means that, while one is talking, we listen without noise in our heads. We do not interrupt; we lead no inner monologue, when one says something you do not like. The point of conversation is not sharing your opinion or showing how smart you are, but listening and only coming to a conclusion after the point got across.

When I took a seminar on meditation, we had an exercise. We were divided into random chosen couples and we were supposed to lead a conversation. The goal of this exercise was to not say anything until the talker (he was selected through a toss of a coin) finished. We were supposed to listen for as long as he was talking. You know how one feels, when doing that exercise? It is excruciating. You have to ignore your own flow of thoughts and suppress the need to say something, when you feel the talker said something you do not agree with, because you are always right in your mind. What makes this exercise amazing is the realization that, by the time talker finished talking, you have already forgotten, what you wanted to say. And you know what that says about your thoughts? They were not that important to begin with. Suddenly your egotistical need to be the smartass, the helper, the wise or the arguer, or simply to object, subsided. There was such peace and fulfillment in my mind. 

Suddenly, you remember things the talker said. You are armored with understanding, so it is easier to develop a sincere compassion, because you know the pain he is talking from. And then miraculously, you talk about his issue, sharing your own experience on that; and he listens. Like a wonder your conversation finds its own way to any problem without saying anything. Or you can disagree, but nevertheless, you understand. And what is even more important, you have no emotional reaction to it. You simply let it flow over you.

This exercise shows you, that you are not needed. Your opinion is not needed. Your ego is not present. You are simply there; nothing more. What is more, you find out, that we are not that different at all. We all share same suffering. In the end, we all simply want to be loved and better ourselves.

I must confess it is hard to keep that in mind all the time, especially when great emotions, like love, are involved. The customs are the worst to get rid of. But somehow I managed to stop blaming people for the words they say. I don’t take anything personally. I still react to them; I have the right to, especially when people get mean. However I do not react in anger or sadness. I might be irritated, but I let it wash over me in few minutes. I might say sometimes, that I am sad, but I am not really sad. I am not crying. Maybe I am simply disappointed, because my expectations have not been met. But that is another issue worth discussing next time.

I would like to conclude, that I have no regrets over the things I said. I understand why I did them and I got a better look into my own issues. That is the only way we learn. And I cannot promise, I will not repeat them, but at least I am on the way to once cease doing that. I am more careful. But time to time, I get into the situation I face for the first time. I never want to hurt anyone intentionally, though. Because in the end the hurt I feel is mine. The pain I feel is over my inability to learn faster and wondering why I succumb to the emotional states that prevent me to be silent. So yes, my tongue hits me in a way. So I should stop doing that in order to not feel pain.

It saddens me sometimes, though, that I am not listened to; that my partner in conversation doesn’t take time to really listen to me. In the end, I can only take responsibility for my actions, decisions and words I say, but not someone´s interpretation of them. I cannot help it, if they weren´t listening. One should always thrive on understanding not judging. After all, I am talking from my own pain, too.

And there is that.           


     


No comments:

Post a Comment