Monday, December 8, 2014

Of art exhibitions in Graz, mental orgasms and other escapes I like to call exploration.

It has not been easy for me lately. Not so much in the existential or emotional part of my life as it was in the artistic expression. I found myself in a position where I literally generated compositional clothing not being allowed to squeeze in the conceptual thought into them, which I like to do. People want to look great, they want to show what makes them appealing and hide that which makes them less of that. They want to look beautiful. Do not get me wrong, I would stand in front of an armored artillery squad defending fashion for being functional and in humble service to people. I still believe fashion is not an art form. Rather I see it as a skillful Kraftwerk, a mastery which can reach to the realms of being so well executed it looks almost divine, humanly impossible to make. The way Caravaggio’s masterpieces do. The way Michelangelo´s statues do. It is completely different story when fashion meets artistic expression, however. Then it becomes something different. Something like “Modart”, I should say. Of course, there can be intellectual stimuli to a garment, an idea that pervades it, a symbol that makes it somehow embedded in a deeper and complex subject. This is where I like to think I stand with my designs. But in the end, for the sake of being artistic, fashion cannot submit to the self proclaimed artwork dipped in nonfunctional conceptualization. To me, fashion still, in the first place, looks for an aesthetic solution to a given composition of a human body and the relations of volume between body and clothes. Thought behind it is an entity of second grade. So I found myself in situations where I was challenged only on the surface, asked to find an aesthetic solution to a given body, type of venue and event that body has planned to go to. (I see a concept developing here). In general, I love to do it, but when one ends up doing ONLY that for a longer time, one starts to look for a stimulation that is not skin-deep. And when town one lives in does not offer anything but morning rituals and afternoon obligations, with no excitement for the eye or the brain, one reaches out. What my sister likes to call an escape, I like to call exploration. And it is that what I did this week. And it is that I would like to write about. I went to Graz, thus the one day delay on this post. I am sorry for that (déjà-vu?). But here it is what excited me.

I´m in Graz now. Visiting. Escaping. Sheltering. I am running away from that dull and uneventful town of mine. Lately I have started to miss the cultural stimulation in every sense imaginable. In my town the highlight of the year has just passed, that being town fair that was misfortunate event itself. Rain has pushed away the visitors that would have been few as it was. Fair usually means crowded streets and fun seeking inhibitors, this time however, the curse has  strike hard and the void seemed even greater because expectations have been higher, Life in Kobarid just got banished and I got lucky enough to escape its sweeping hand in the moment it drew closer to me. I jumped into my friend´s car and set off to conquer a city I have never visited before.

On that day prospects have not been great. It rained in Graz as well, but at least the imagery was different. Language and people felt strange although there is not a big difference to lay a border between us and them. We, Slovenes, have always felt the influence of German culture. We owe it to their occupation, that we at least have some decent level of cultural development and its appreciation. So, in the end this visit does not seem so great, but it is still better than nothing at all. Well, I am doing it injustice here. This visit has proven to be anything but not-great. In three days I have been witness to eclectic architecture of the old town, the best interpretation of Dvorak´s ninth symphony “From the new world” and three amazing exhibitions that rocked my world. What is more, tonight I have yet another event to visit, opera Carmen.

I would like to expose three objects to each of those artists that stimulated my mind and gave me many mental orgasms I missed so much. I will not waste many words on them, for what has been seen is still resonating in my head, teasing me to get the fuck up and do these projects of mine I keep close to my heart. They empowered me with the will, for need to do them has been a constant in my life. Here are three names that are the cause of this rebirth, three names to get me out of bed tomorrow and start working.

1. Liu Xiadong is Chinese artist that likes for his artwork to include the process of its making. Subjects is always a portrayal of real people in their usual surroundings doing what they do. There is certain sincerity, honesty to his work. Poetic existentialism I could call it. He reaches beyond the kraftwerk addressing social phenomena that we all can relate to. I have seen his video and paintings when he visited Cuba and reproduced famous paintings in new social, more real, environment, which was genius idea in my opinion.  You can see his work here: http://www.xiaodongstudio.com/



2. Sofia Goscinski. I have entered the gallery by accident, or did I? in an empty room there was a black box, which you see on the photo. It served as a podium on which art objects are usually placed. Only this time object is human body, with only one difference, head is placed inside the box. On the wall opposite to the box there was a series of 20 pictures that showed male nude in different positions, thus making it an object rather than a subject. However, what stroke me as brilliant was, how little it took for a human body to become a piece of flesh. With head gone, all that makes human body appealing or even slightly erotic has vanished.  Life still running through his veins could not overcome the fact it lost its personality, its soul, its essence. Body has become nothing different  than the piece of meat you buy on a meat market. Brilliant. You can see more here: http://www.sofiagoscinski.org/



3. Michelangelo Pistoletto. I shall not use words on. He is a legend. The exhibition was a thought provoking experience. I will expose two works. One mirror painting which you see underneath. In this work an observer becomes part of his artwork, which he likes to do. I loved it. Especially the usage of print of people looking into the painting, meaning, watching my image inside, who watches the painting from the outside. Loved it. However, the one work that stuck me deeply was the infinity box. It has something to do with my obsession with mathematics and topological sense of perceiving space. The artwork is composed of six mirrors placed so that they made a cube with mirroring sides on the inside.  This was the first artwork that excluded me from perceiving what it represents. The infinity happened on the inside. We all know the image of infinity when we place two mirrors opposed to each other, now here were six making an infinite space of self repetition. And one can only imagine that what is going on inside. Fucking hate him brilliant!  You can see more here: http://www.pistoletto.it/ 



And here is that!! Dammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment